Date:      Sat, 31 May 2014 12:56:59 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: TRIM on SD cards
References:  <20140531004306.GI26883@cicely7.cicely.de> <1401505209.20883.34.camel@revolution.hippie.lan> <20140531102305.GK26883@cicely7.cicely.de> <05005B04-1BDA-4242-946B-28D0DA069A42@bsdimp.com> <CAJ-Vmom=r9FA_HWLTjgThSZPncGw3dkCknNGCEpd=F39AJN8ww@mail.gmail.com> <C6388C10-C534-4141-B44C-1EEB29493A05@bsdimp.com> <CAJ-Vmom_v1Y1Lt2ne7CLGvnSVLT0YE=MUj7JcoHF31aWy_9pEg@mail.gmail.com> <0A74DD39-7C54-4F09-A4B9-623A9BD25E2A@bsdimp.com> <B2EEF112-2AE3-401E-84CF-3E28A7F69599@bsdimp.com>

Warner Losh wrote this message on Sat, May 31, 2014 at 12:51 -0600:

> On May 31, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> >> Sure, but it'd be part of a larger scale image creation and writing
> >> tool. That way you could ship images that had the sparseness bits in
> >> them and the tool + growfs can TRIM as appropriate on the installing
> >> media.
> >
> > Except why have an extra step when all that metadata is encoded in the filesystem itself?
>
> looks like fsck already has a -E flag:
>
>     -E      Clear unallocated blocks, notifying the underlying device that
>              they are not used and that their contents may be discarded.  This
>              is useful for filesystems which have been mounted on systems
>              without TRIM support, or with TRIM support disabled, as well as
>              filesystems which have been copied from one device to another.
>
> So maybe the answer ?it is already there? might be a better reason :)
>
> Bernd, can you try this on your arm box to see what it does for your system?

Hmm... sounds like another useful command to run on first boot, though
right now it's disabled by default...

makefs doesn't support setting the flag...  I'll fix makefs, as I have
some other minor changes sitting in my tree...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579