Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 12:48:58 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux ABI/SDK standards for OpenGL/Mesa (fwd)

True, however binary compatibility in the linux sense has nothing to do with
different versions of their libraries. For example as long they all compiled
against the same library set including libc or glibc then everything is
"fine"  or so goes the linux story and the linux mode can only help
you so far  for even though we are in a good position to swap
linux libraries to our hearts contents it does not mean that setup
for X application is going to let you run Y set of applications which
were compiled with a different version of libraries.

Just recently tested java across different linux distributions and just
about all of them failed in one way or another. The picture is not too
bright in the linux camp.

> Amancio Hasty wrote:
> >
> > I think that what the group wants is the ability to share binaries and the
> > problem with that in linux is its highly incompatibility of different
> > versions of libc or glibc.
>
> Gna, just read the document. It's almost all about binary compatibility.
> Hopefully we or the Linuxers won't go the Windows way in providing only
> binaries for apps... Even if we've got a good Linux mode, there is
> NetBSD
> as well with a lot of non-x86 architectures, which will suffer from it.
>
> --
> Tom

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@rah.star-gate.com