Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:23:51 +0200
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RSI-basher?

Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk> writes:
> My hands/wrists are starting to give out. I'm spending 10+ hours a day at=
> screen having done so now for maybe 15 years, and no matter how many brea=
ks
> I take, the ergonomic setup of my desk, whatever, I'm starting to feel the
> onset of RSI creeping in.
>
> So, I want to see what keyboards you guys are using. Is the painful switc=
h=20
> to Dvorak worth it? Have you found a particularly decent keyboard that is=
=20
> incredibly comfortable?

I've been plagued with RSI in the past, and in my experience, typing
may aggravate it, but does not cause it.  What does cause it in my
case is:

  - heavy lifting

  - excessive mouse use

  - incorrectly adjusted chair / desk

  - incorrect keyboard placement (a tidy desk helps)

Don't adjust your chair to your desk - adjust your chair so you're
sitting comfortably, *then* adjust your desk.  Avoid chairs with arm
rests as they get in the way of your elbows and restrict chair
mobility close to the desk.  Get a wrist pad so you don't have to
carry the weight of your arms while typing.  Make sure the wrist pad
and keyboard are the right height so you don't need to bend your
wrists to type when they're resting on the pad.  Make sure the desk is
high enough to support your arms, but not so high it pushes your
shoulders up.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no