Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:51:33 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

Mike Smith wrote:

> If there is a shift in the time_t paradigm, it's going to need to be
> driven by the industry at large, and it will need to be supported by
> wider consensus than a small frothing cabal such as currently stands
> behind this set of proposals.

Does "Linux" represent a large enough portion of the Unix industry?
Its 64 bit platforms have 64 bit time_t (long) and their 32 bit platforms
have 32 bit time_t (long).

We have new 64 bit platforms coming online as we speak.  It would be a
terrible shame to waste the opportunity to resolve it.

Unlike the others in the thread, I see little benefit but lots of pain,
in changing time_t on i386.

I doubt i386 32 bit apps will be around in 20 years.  If it lives on, it
will be something like x86-64 or intel's spin on that.  It too will have 64
bit "long" and we can use a 64 bit time_t there.

I dont see sufficient reason to inflict this pain on i386 in the name of
having the same size time_t.  Having the same type (long) - yes, but using a
quad_t is just expensive overkill.

I wish I hadn't even brought up the possibility of changing i386.  I didn't
make it clear enough how much I hated the idea of it.

Cheers,
-Peter