Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:01:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Scott A. Moberly" <smoberly@karamazov.org>
To:        "Dragoncrest" <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE driver issue

> 	I just recently converted my windows 2000 box over to Freebsd with KDE
> 3.1.  KDE loads up just fine, but just before it gets to the desktop, it
> gives the error "Error while initializing the sound driver.  Device
> /dev/dsp can't be opened. (Device not configured)  The sound server will
> continue, using the null output device."
>
> 	Ok, I'm stumped.  I've never seen this error before.  Anyone know what I
> need to do to fix this?  Thanks.

Build a new kernel with sound support.  Might start with:

kldload snd_pcm # or another more appropriate driver

to make sure the sound card is functional.

cat /dev/sndstat # will give you more information about the sound drivers.
--
Scott A. Moberly
smoberly at karamazov.org

The Jones-Eistein Principle
	Originality is the art of concealing your source.