Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:34:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore with compression

> I'd never use any compression -- except hardware-based like DAT's --
> because you can't recover much if your tape have a problem... I'm against
> compressed file systems for that very reason too.

This depends on the implementation.  A correct implementation will
use block compression rather than file compression or driver level
disk compression to limit the possibility of damage.

Block compression also has the advantage that the compression tables
are highly sensitive to the type of data, so you don't end up
compressing a region with a suboptimal table.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.