Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:34:18 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   35-40% performance drop releng9 vs releng10 openvpn

As part of moving from a RELENG8 based image to a RELENG9 or 10, I was
doing some simple performance testing and found RELENG_9 to be quite a
bit faster when generating traffic through a pcengines APU (dual core,
AMD64, 2G of RAM).  Both are using generic kernels

blasting across an aes-128cbc tunnel, on releng9 I get

# dd if=/dev/zero | nc 10.3.24.25 500

326002688 bytes transferred in 37.188139 secs (8766308 bytes/sec)

vs

# dd if=/dev/zero | nc 10.3.24.25 500
146982400 bytes transferred in 27.750440 secs (5296579 bytes/sec)
on releng10.

Both have identical pf rules, but disabling pf does not make much of a
difference in speed.

I havent started checking any of the default tunables. The box will be
functioning as a VPN router and I was hoping to get at least 50Mb/s out
of it, and I can do that on RELENG9, but not 10.
Any ideas what to do with RELENG10 to get comparable performance out of it ?

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400