Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:36:01 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA drive TIMEOUT READ_DMA errors since adding power savings

--nextPart7725030.QmSQ14DMby

On Monday 13 November 2006 9:57 am, Michael Knoll wrote:

> I added a power down timer on one of my harddrives, and started
> getting READ_DMA and WRITE_DMA timeouts.  Is it possible these are
> occuring becuase the drive is spun down and FreeBSD isn't waiting long
> enough for it to spin up?  Everything else seems to be working.

Yep.

> If that is the problem, is it possible to extend the timeout to
> eliminate these messages clouding my logs?

=46irst, what kind of machine is this?  If anything other than a laptop, be=
=20
aware that most harddrives have lifetimes measured in hundreds of thousands=
=20
of hours, but a small number of thousand spin-ups.  If your drive is=20
cycling many times a day, you could get a nasty surprise in a relatively=20
short amount of time.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser