Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 03:34:34 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To:        Mony Nedkov <mnedkov@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connecting xwin32 to FeeBSD

Mony Nedkov writes:

>Like I said I just installed it, and now I would like to connect a
>Windows-based computer to FreeBSD, using xwin32. Can you help me do it?
>I tried to connect with Telnet and that worked, but with xwin32 I get
>errors. I could really use your help!

Xwin32 is a (commercial) X11 display server for Windows.  If you
don't want to dive into the nethers of XDMCP right now, then just
find out how to add your freebsd machine to the list of IP addresses
that are allowed to connect to Xwin32 (or leave it blank, it should
allow any then, can't quite remember the details from last time I
used it), then log into your freebsd machine via ssh or telnet (a
free ssh client, putty, is available for Windows), set the DISPLAY
environment variable (DISPLAY=winmachine:0; export DISPLAY for the
Bourne shell or compatibles, or setenv DISPLAY winmachine:0 for
csh, the display and/or screen number on winmachine may be different
but the default is :0.0, or :0 as a shorthand) and then fire up the
X application you want.  Note that certain X11 extensions like XSHM
or 3d acceleration etc. are not available (same as with any X
terminal) and some programs may barf about it but generally any
well-written application should work just as if you were running
it on a local display.

You can configure Xwin32 to either treat each window as a seperate
window on the host (windows) machine, or to pop up a virtual desktop
with its own root window, in which you could run a full X session
(i.e., including programs that paint the root window etc., run the
remote machine's window manager on it etc.)  I personally normally
prefer the first method, since it integrates better into the Windows
desktop; the X11 windows are decorated by Windows, the other method
feels more "virtual machine" like.

--mkb