Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 17:18:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multisession CDROM supported ?

In lists.freebsd.multimedia you write:

>Disclaimer: i intend to integrate this seamlessly into the kernel CD
>driver, hence i don't need any `complete package' (i've already seen
>and analyzed a few of them).  What i'm interested in is:

One feature I'd like to see is the seemless integration of mixed mode CD's.  If
you ever had the chance to examine a Sony Playstation CD (CD-ROM XA) they
frequently have directory entries in the XA track like "songname.da" which
points to a dataoffset deep into DA territory.  That sort of application
control would be wayyyy coool.  However, given the crap one must go through to
actually retrieve useful CDDA data from most CD's I doubt we'll get it.  As a
side note, I just got a Plextor 8plex and it seems to have the capability to
seek accurately to a single CD sector consistantly (finally!) hurray for the
good guys!

In any case most CD's are such garbage that seemlessly support CDDA in the
driver seems to be a futile attempt at best.  Then again, who knows :)

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich