Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:33:00 -0600
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Juan_Ram=C3=B3n_Molina_Menor?= <listjm@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-SA-14:28 & FreeBSD-SA-14:27

On 12/10/2014 12:48 pm, Juan Ramón Molina Menor wrote:
>>> Did something get missed in these updates to the releng branch, my
>>> source updates don't show the RELEASE-p1 in the BRANCH tag in the
>>> sys/conf/newver.sh
>
> It was forgotten:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=275684
>
> Sorry for the noise!

Good to know, it did through 9.2 & 10.0-RELEASE cycle, I wrote the
script when using 9.2, when I switched over to ZFS and using beadm to
manage boot environments.  I wasn't sure I didn't pick a bad spot, or a
change in the process hadn't been intentionally made. I wanted more
input to see if I had found an error, or I was at fault.

After this update it works correctly.

root@freebsd:/usr/src # /scripts/create-beadm-name.sh
10.1-RELEASE-p1-r275684-2014.12.10

Its a really simple script, probably could be made better by someone who
knows more about grep and awk than I do:

REVISION=`cat /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh | grep "^REVISION=" | awk -F=
'{print $2}' | awk -F\" '{print $2}'`
BRANCH=`cat /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh | grep "^BRANCH=" | awk -F=
'{print $2}' | awk -F\" '{print $2}'`
SVNLASTCHANGE=`svnlite info /usr/src/ | grep "^Last Changed Rev:" | awk
'{print $4}'`
DATE=`date "+%Y.%m.%d"`
echo "${REVISION}-${BRANCH}-r${SVNLASTCHANGE}-${DATE}"

makes creating a new Boot Environment under a standard naming convention
a breeze.

beadm create `/scripts/create-beadm-name.sh`

The SVN revision isn't to helpful usually on a release, but since I use
the same script when testing STABLE as well, I just left it in there.
On the production systems I generally do a new boot environment even
when updating applications so I may end up with several dates on the
same BRANCH with different dates so I can roll back if an updated
application fails.

I am rebuilding world on my test system now, so I can found out if the
uname issue resolves as well, though I expect it will, then time to
start rolling through my production servers.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer