Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 2014 22:37:48 -0600
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RTL8111/8168B not negotiating 1GB

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 19:39, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a Asus Sabertooth 990FXv2 motherboard,  and a run of the mill
> NetGear DGS2205 desktop gig switch
>
> with linux my Ethernet can negotiate at 1GB but with FreeBSD it can not
> if I force the device to 1000baseT  with ifconfig it does not work.
>

> uname -a
> FreeBSD NewBSD 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1 r260188M: Thu Jan  2
> 04:27:49 CST 2014     sfourman@NewBSD:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

This is probably flying too far off-topic so feel free to ignore me, but
this just popped in my head because I ran into this with a pair of Cisco
devices recently:

On some Cisco gear with certain GBICs / SFPs you can run into a
situation where you have a physical link that claims to be up/up but is
completely non-functional (no traffic, no mac addresses/arp). The
solution is a command that is only available on these interfaces called
"speed nonegotiate" which forces the link to work, bypassing negotiation
(simply MDI/MDIX?). I don't know how the low level gigabit auto
negotiation magic works or what it fully entails, but I'm wondering if
it is something that could be replicated in the FreeBSD drivers/stack.

I have a feeling that if it existed and he tried something like
"ifconfig re0 speed nonegotiate" it would not work because he'd need to
set that on his switch port as well, but I just thought I'd throw this
out there.

Here's a link mentioning the feature:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa70/configuration/guide/intrface.html

I'm not sure where to find any true technical details of it, though.