Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 14:41:35 -0500
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

In article <1337.810473461@critter.tfs.com>,
Poul-Henning Kamp  <phk@critter.tfs.com> wrote:
>> Microsoft has switched to using so called DMF format
>> (Distribution Media Format - 1,716,224 bytes 1.63 MB) on
>> diskettes for the WIN95 distrubution disks.

>This is very interesting.  If it works for them, we can do that too.
>The changes to the floppy-build procedure is rather few, but I still
>suggest we hang in there until we hear how much trouble MS has with it...

Anyone know what they're actually doing?

Amiga uses standard MFM to get 1760KB on the same density disks, by leaving
off the inter-sector gaps and reading and writing a track at a time. If you
also leave off all the sector headers you get 1970KB (you nead one gap/sector
header to mark the beginning of the data, or you'd be all the way to 2000KB).