Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:03:49 +0200
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Hidden feature == hidden breakage or tidy(1) usage (was: Re: cvs commit: www/en/news/1998 index.sgml www/en/projects mozilla.sgml ...)

Maxim,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 05:58:57PM +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> Could you please take a look at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/ru/news/newsflash.html
>
> It seems something broken with sgml -> html conversion.

Thank you for notice!

I've made small invistigations and was surprised that this problem
currently appeared at newsflash.html only.

Main root of the problem is:

----------------------------
revision 1.37
date: 2001/10/29 10:14:33;  author: murray;  state: Exp;  lines: +92 -50
* Make build/install of www /usr/obj prefix clean.
* Use make variables instead of hard coding commands, paths, and
  options.
* Wrap some long lines.
* Replace shell loops with make for loops, etc.

PR:             docs/31132
Submitted by:   Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
----------------------------

which "silently" added tidy(1) post-processing to whole web tree
generated html files.

We already had this problem under doc/ tree when without '-raw' or '-latin1'
flags tidy(1) had converted all russian (japanese, etc.) characters to their
sgml specifications (like &icirc;&Iuml;&times;&Iuml;&Oacute;&Ocirc;&Eacute;)
I just tried to build www/ru subtree and realized that all russian pages
are broken now in same way as newsflash.html :-(

You also may check all translated pages updated since 31 Oct to checkout
this breakage.

BTW, is it feature that 'make install' installs only updated pages ?
I.e. until sgml source not updated its HTML file will not be installed
to overwrite previously installed (by one of previous installs) html page
in www.FreeBSD.org's DocumentRoot ?