Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 11:05:28 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Denial of service attack from "imagelock.com"

This morning, someone at the domain "imagelock.com" apparently launched a
denial of service attack against a Web server I administer. The abuser was
repeatedly downloading large image files simultaneously. While the log
entries say that the user agent was "Mozilla
/3.01C-PBWF", this was clearly spoofed; no Netscape user could possibly
browse that fast.

Because that server has a limited amount of Internet bandwidth, and because
it also handles several dial-up connections and Web sites, many people were
being severely impacted by this abuse. When we attempted to trace the
attack to the source, we noted that the abuser was attempting to prevent
the determination of his or her address by enabling reverse but not forward
name resolution. We locked them out of the Web server, but not before they
brought several e-commerce Web sites to a crawl.

Who are these people?

Sincerely,
Brett Glass, System Administrator