Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 05:45:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Path to SMP

>     Is anyone currently working on the next big step in the SMP
>     puzzle?  That is, implementing kernel threads with preemptive
>     scheduling?
>
>     The idea being that one then has the ability to run
>     preemptable kernel threads in parallel on SMP-capable
>     boxes because the code must assume preemption in the
>     same manner on both uni and multi cpu systems.
>
>     Once implemented, we would begin to migrate functionality
>     from non-preemptive threads to preemptive threads from
>     the outside-in, and parallel SMP operation in supervisor
>     mode migrates along with it.

No, but I'm working on something easier - per-"cpu resource"
scheduling classes to dedicate cycles to a class of processes, along
with detection and notification when rules are violated.

I don't have an SMP system though.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval