Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:53:35 -0700
From:      Jim Pazarena <fports@paz.bz>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   at - atrun utility bug on 10.0

I find that while a job is running via the at facility, that is,
atrun has executed it, every subsequent execution of atrun (via
cron) STAYS running while the original program (executed by atrun)
is still active.

Generally, according to the docs, atrun is executed every 5 minutes
*/5 * * * * within /etc/crontab
I always modify this to * * * * * for more prompt at execution.

I have jobs submitted via 'at' which tend to run for several hours
sometimes even all day.
If I do a 'ps wwax' I could see dozens, hundreds, even thousands
of "atrun" running.
When the original job completes all the "atrun"s disappear.
I noticed this on 10.0, where on 9.1 it simply does not happen.

It is my feeling that the atrun on 10.0 is either being held up by
a lock fyl, an flock, or something else which is blocking its
normal termination when there is an empty queue, or rather when
there is an item in the queue which is already being tended to
by another process.

I would think that the general */5 granularity of atrun, along with
most jobs NOT running for multiple hours tends to obfuscate this
(what I think is a) bug. And most people looking at an wwax would
skip past it without giving it any thought.

If anyone could confirm that I am not going insane, I would file a
bug report thru normal channels. Of course, I may be going insane
regardless of THIS email :-)