Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 21:11:40 -0700
From:      Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>
To:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WEP with Orinoco WaveLan

Wesley Morgan said:

>That explains your problem. The keys are not programmed into the cards (to
>do so would be a security risk). You must use wicontrol to set the keys at
>startup.

Yeah, my assumption was that the key would be saved in the card.  I
should've paid more attention to how assume is spelled, I guess.
Anyway, that did it.  I entered the key from the command line and it
started working immediately.  So I stuck the wicontrol -i wi0 -k
0x... in /etc/start_if.wi0 (executed from /etc/pccard_ether) along
with with my other wicontrol statements.  Which brings me to my next
question, or rather, assumption:  I assume I can use wicontrol to
override values saved in the card, say, channel (matching it in the
access point, of course).  Is this correct?  And is it wise to
include a full complement of card configuration wicontrol statements
in start_if.wi0 as belt and suspenders, even if the card already has
the same values?  Last question:  How DO you obtain ascii output for
the key with wicontrol?  Many thanks for all your help, and Mike
Smith's and Chad Larson's as well.

.\\ichelle