Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:00:50 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: Broadcom BCM5703X causing reboot? 4.8-RC2

On Sunday 30 March 2003 01:42 pm, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> taxman <taxman@acd.net> wrote:
>  > On Sunday 30 March 2003 06:31 am, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > L. Jankok <lj@2u2.nu> wrote:
>  > >  > I have said this different time on the list.
>  > >  > Use FreeBSD 4.7 Stable.
>  > >
>  > > Thanks for the hint.
>  > >
>  > > Just to make sure:  Are you saying that that particular bug
>  > > in the bge driver is fixed in RELENG_4_7?  That would be
>  >
>  > No, he said use 4.7 Stable which is RELENG_4
>
> I'm sorry, that term always confuses me.  I call RELENG_4
> "4-stable",

Thats good, and I preferr that, but if you look at the uname or dmesg of a
4-stable machine (before it switches to pre-release) it will say 4.7-Stable,
and after 4.8 release it will say 4.8-Stable.  I don't like it that way
because of the confusion it creates, but tis the way it is.  I guess it does
let you know where in between releases the -stable code was taken from.

> and RELENG_4_7 "4.7-stable" (because it's
> branched off at 4.7-RELEASE, while 4-stable moves away
> from 4.7-RELEASE).

As noted above, that's incorrect.  RELENG_4_7 is the Release branch.  It
doesn't have a name other than that.  It's better to just call it
4.7-Release.

> Anyway, the bge driver problem seems not to be fixed in
> 4-stable.  People have reported to experience the same
> reboots in 4.8-RC.  *sigh*  I'll try 4.8-RELEASE anyway,
> maybe I'll be just lucky.  Better than changing to Linux.

Yeah, sorry I didn't have any input on that issue.

Tim