Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:42:42 -0800
From:      Jay Chandler <chandler@chapman.edu>
To:        linux quest <linuxquest7570@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Resolver Problem

linux quest wrote:
> Dear Jay,
>
> Thanks. That is exactly what I mean (sorry not explaining it
> properly). My network is DHCP enabled. When the lease expired, the
> resolver is also cleared out. Any ideas how I can configure a static
> DNS IP?
>
> Here is what I think may work (Please correct me if I am wrong)...
> Perhaps I should configure a static IP on this client using FreeBSD.
> May I know how can I do that, and at the same time, I would also like
> to disable DHCP enable settings.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
> Linux Quest
>
> */Jay Chandler <chandler@chapman.edu>/* wrote:
>
>     linux quest wrote:
>     > I have a problem with the DNS setting in FreeBSD. Every 1 hour,
>     I will not be able to ping google.com (because I need to type in
>     my ISP's DNS into /etc/resolv.conf) May I know what is the best
>     solution for this, so that I do not have to type in my ISP's DNS
>     to the resolver all the time? Perhaps, should I set a static IP
>     configuration? If so, may I know which file should I modify?
>     >
>     > Thanks.
>     >
>     Their DNS changes hourly? What the heck ISP are you using that pulls
>     such things?
>
>     Or do you mean to say that you're on DHCP, and when it renews the
>     lease
>     it clears out DNS info?
>
>     --
>     Jay Chandler
>     Network Administrator, Chapman University
>     714.628.7249 / chandler@chapman.edu
>     Today's Excuse: emissions from GSM-phones

Simple enough to do-- first off, is this box running under a router or
some such that you control, or is it getting a public IP through your
ISP?  If the latter, setting a static IP might come back to haunt you.

I suspect from the way you describe it, that you control a local router
that's giving bogus DNS information out with its DHCP lease, in which
case the simplest fix is to adjust said router so it Doesn't Do That (tm).

In any case: http://www.freebsddiary.org/resolv.php should help you out.