Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:06:55 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Gregers Petersen <gp.ioa@cbs.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless woes (was: no subject)

> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:29:01 +0200
> From: Gregers Petersen <gp.ioa@cbs.dk>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Jeff Rollin wrote:
> > Whoops! Sorry for the lack of a subject in the last post, folks. ;-)
>
> >> Can anyone help with this, please?
>
> After inserting the D-Link card you should probably run a quick 'ifconfig ath0'
> to see if you have a new network-interface - the 'ath' driver is a generic part
> of the generic kernel, so if you havn't done any changes to your local kernel
> you should not need to 'kldload if_ath' (to load the appropriate kernel module).
>
> I have the same pc-card, but I did a bit off kernel-modding, so I manually load
> the 'ath' module ... I'm running an IBM R51 with the build in Intel2200 ('iwi'),
> but the Atheros chipset of the DWL-650 is more flexible and better supported for
> certain things.

I'm afraid that ath is NOT in Generic in 6.0 nor is it in 6.1-RC or
6-stable. It's not even in Current. (I'm not sure why this is the case.)

You will need to add it to you kernel config or 'kldload if_ath'. If you
always want it to load, add the line 'if_ath_load="YES"' to
/boot/loader.conf.

Whether this will fix the problem, I can't say, as I don't know if the
DWL-650 you have uses an ath chip.

Also, pccard_enable is obsolete in V6. It was used with OLDCARD in
earlier version of FreeBSD, but the CardBus code does not use it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)