Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:39:48 -1000
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Nik <nikruzhan@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ping (DUP!) in FreeBSD 5.4

Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Nik wrote:
>
>> This is happen when I setup point to point connection using wireless
>> with
>> realtek network card (rl0). I wondering if this situation will effect my
>

>  What kind of wireless hardware do you use?

he said 'ralink'

> I have seen a lot of duplicates
> with cheap wireless adapters made by Planet or D-Link. It has nothing to
> do with your NIC, duplicates are originated by wireless.

this statement makes no sense.  It translates to "it has nothing to do
with your nice, duplicates are originated by <your nic>".

Yes, you can get dups if the transmitter doesn't receive an ACK.   Any
number of things can cause this.

> Yes, duplicates
> can lower network throughput by using the additional bandwidth. You can
> try to avoid them by changing the antenna orientation.

you can also try:

better coax
dryer coax
installing an antenna period (you'd be suprised at what people try to
get away with)
moving the devices closer together
lowering the modulation rate
etc