Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 04:05:28 -0700
From:      "Jack Velte" <jackv@earthling.net>
To:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Jason" <kib@poboxes.com>
Subject:   you can talk the talk, can you walk the walk?

>>    Erm... "doing illegal things" is illegal, whether or not you're a
>>monopoly... ;-)
>>--
>>Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)
>>"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't"
>>
>True enough....but what illegal act has been done?  All I hear is how MS is
>making too much money and has too much market share.  How about something
>that is against the law?

is there one ld on this list?  does joe siino have email?
[wanted: some lawyers on this list - advertise in some lawyer forums.

i'm collecting these email addresses, btw.  i have lessig and a couple.
20 state's attorney's.  you want to try to drill down to the people that
actually read stuff instead of throwing spam away.

is or is it not illegal to control 100% market share in many critical
markets?
all office secretaries use windows, except for archaic companies.

i remember a time when you choose your operating system when you
bought your computer.  cpm and /quarterdeck/ or msdos and dr dos
and os/2.  there were arguments about which os was better.  this is
a pretty critical ap for now when the only choice is upgrade or not.

unix flavors .3
macintosh   3
amiga         .01
os/2           .01
windows31 45
windows95 51

these are my marketshare statistics.  [wanted:  poll what police
departments use as general user terminals.  (100% win95)  "what
OS does their word processor run on?"  at least 10 people per
sample is statistically significant.

>I have not heard anything from the DOJ that seems to hold much water.  But
>do see the need for an investigation....but I have not seen anything worth
>prosecuting yet.

the whole browser thing is pretty nonsense.  (i prefer explorer.)  oh yeah,
there
are five other browser companies.  how come they aren't in the lawsuites or
anywhere?  MS can't have a monopoly on this critical segment of our economy.
it's like a monopoly on steel or railroads.  not good for the economy or the
industry.  it's not good for the economy because it retards innovation and
it's
not good for the industry because there Are better OS's, in fact, almost all
the other ones are better.  apple was better until recently, then FreeBSD is
better.

who thinks MS general utility products don't suck?  anyone forced to use
them
that has [long bug lists?  software downloaded recently from MS's web site?
most of their cash flow goes to loyalty - high salaries and marketing of
their
second and third rate products.

the issue isn't the browser, it's the os.

-jack

free windows 98
 -FreeBSD