Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2011 18:21:14 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Michael_Gr=FCnewald?= <michaelgrunewald@yahoo.fr>
To:        glarkin@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Subversion over SSH works through GIT but not with SVN

Hello Greg, hello list,

thank you very much for your answer, it was very useful!

Greg Larkin wrote:
> On 4/20/11 7:21 AM, Michael Grünewald wrote:
>
>> I have recently discovered that by subversion client (1.16_2) is not
>> able any more to access my subversion accounts over svn+ssh (with key
>> based authentication).  It seems very odd to me, because in the same
>> time git can access these accounts (with the git svn command) and commit
>> to these repositories!
> [...]
> Finally, if all else fails, I run commands through truss or strace to
> see if there are any strange errors generated by system calls, like a
> missing library or config file, or an unexpected chdir() or chroot().

I feel here a bit ashamed: I plainly forgot to inform subversion that my
login name on the remote machine is not the same as on the local, what
git has been told years ago.  Your clue to use ssh instead of the svn
put me on the right track. To my defence, the login name that ssh uses
during its conversation is not printed on the diagnostic line when
verbose output is enabled.  While this information is very basic and
elementary, it maybe would be useful to debug a connection (I admit,
``login name'' should stand quite high on the list of things to check
when something goes wrong!)  In my case, if the login names had been
present in the verbose output os SSH ,I woud have spotted it by diff'ing
the outputs of the successful and unsuccessful transactions.  Maybe I
should file a PR for this?

Why do I instantly think ``login name'' when I hear ssh and not when I
hear svn?  Well, I hope my therapist will be able to help me sorting it
out :)
--
Thank you very much,
Michael