Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:12:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Aram Khalili <aram@cs.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   corrupted superblock/fsck problem

Hi.

I run FreeBSD on an IBM T20 and I recently had a corrupted superblock on
my /home filesystem.  It would boot, and suggested I run fsck manually.  I
did that, and it would say that my superblock values are corrupted and
exit.  So I looked at the man page, ran fsck -p and got the same result.
Then I ran fsck -p -b 32, and that fixed some things, and subsequent runs
of fsck -p -b 32 ran clean, however subsequent fsck -p runs still gave
corrupted values and exited, and it still wouldn't boot.  Why does fsck
not copy the fixed superblock onto the 1st (0th) superblock?

So I tried to do that myself with dd, however that didn't work, and I must
have done something stupid, like copy an area that was too large and
overwrote whatever follows the superblock (inode table?).  So I newfs'ed
the file system, which means I lost all my configuration files (I have
copies of most of the data).

So why doesn't fsck copy the superblock, and given that it doesn't, how
would I do that myself?

-aram