Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 07:20:51 -0600
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        core@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   working on Apple PR

--------------82FDCB46414C24B9A488971D

Hi, guys -

I've been working on  a joint press release with Apple's Darwin people,
and it got too close to Jordan's Japan trip for him to be able to make
comments in time to get this released by June 6, start of Freenix.

I pencilled in a bogus blurb from Jordan, but -- although he didn't blow
it off -- he didn't have time to think about it and approve. Would one
of you guys step up to the plate and give me something along these
lines? The Apple folks are definitely with us, they're getting a VP
Weenie to say something useful for us.

It is getting too long, but let's get good juicy stuff in there first
and chop later.

--
Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT TO BE RELEASED TO ANY PUBLIC FORUM INCLUDING MAIL=
ING LISTS IN THIS FORM. MOST ITEMS REFERRED TO AS QUOTES ARE COMPLETE FAB=
RICATIONS.

/** NEWS RELEASE **/: FreeBSD AND NetBSD WELCOME APPLE'S "DARWIN" INTO TH=
E BSD FAMILY

Concord, CA,  June 6,  1999: Apple's newly released Mac OS X Server, code=
-named "Darwin", is a welcome new member in the Berkeley Software Develop=
ment (BSD) Operating System family.

Wilfredo Sanchez, Technical Lead for the Darwin Project at Apple, makes n=
o secret of the leverage BSD code gives him. "The BSD code in Darwin is a=
n essential part of our operating system strategy." Sanchez and his team =
have spent over a year working with the NetBSD team. The development has =
been beneficial to both sides, with over half of the user commands in Dar=
win directly taken from NetBSD, and Apple improvements being integrated b=
ack into the NetBSD source. Apple has been leveraging BSD code in its new=
 and upcoming operating system, Mac OS X, since the acquisition of NeXT S=
oftware, Inc. over two years ago. The foundation of Mac OS X is the BSD o=
perating system. This foundation has been released by Apple as a standalo=
ne BSD system using the open source model. Although the Darwin kernel is =
based on the Mach microkernel from Carnegie-Mellon University, Sanchez ac=
knowledges that FreeBSD code is helping make the kernel state-of-the-art.=
 "We intend to use FreeBSD's code to update our libraries and part of our=
 kernel, and some of the remaining user commands." He intends to return t=
he favor, saying, "... as we make changes, we'll send them back upstream.=
" =

That kind of reciprocity is a return to the original software development=
 model that was universal in the early days of computing before PCs. Appl=
e has its proprietary "value added" in the friendly Mac user interface la=
yered on top of the core BSD code, but Sanchez and his superiors at Apple=
 are firmly convinced that core software improvements should be freely sh=
ared. "The fact is that more diffs translates into more work," he says. M=
r. Very Big Cheese, VP of Development at Apple, concurs. "Leveraging the =
twenty years of BSD heritage allows our developers to concentrate on addi=
ng Apple's unique user experience to the solid robust foundation of BSD c=
ode. Releasing our OS improvements to the world is a sound business decis=
ion, because we benefit in return from improvements made by the rest of t=
he community."

Sanchez will be presenting his project to the entire UNIX development com=
munity at the annual Usenix convention, starting today in Monterey, CA. H=
e will speak as part of the "Freenix" track of the conference, an entire =
series of programs devoted to the open source software movement. Jordan H=
ubbard, Chairman of the Freenix track and leader of The FreeBSD Project, =
is extremely pleased to have Apple's open participation in the BSD develo=
pment community. "This validates our position that commercial development=
 efforts can and will maintain a healthy synergy with open source softwar=
e projects like FreeBSD and NetBSD. As more smart businessmen discover th=
e incredible free resource that is BSD software, they will come to the co=
nclusion, as Apple did, that it is in their best interests to contribute =
to the open source development efforts." "Our interaction with Apple on t=
his project has been extremely rewarding for NetBSD and is the kind of op=
en cooperation we would like to see more of," says Herb Peyerl of The Net=
BSD Project.

FreeBSD and NetBSD are open source operating systems based on the last op=
en release of BSD UNIX, 4.4BSDLite2. Each effort has kept up with the lat=
est technologies in processors and software architectures, with FreeBSD c=
oncentrating on optimization for the Intel processor line and NetBSD conc=
entrating on architectural purity and run-anywhere portability. "Our stre=
ngths are robustness, portability, secureity and technical excellence," s=
ays Peyerl of the NetBSD Project. Jordan Hubbard of FreeBSD takes it a bi=
t further, saying that "The Internet is built on BSD-based designs. Berke=
ley socket technology and TCP/IP is the foundation of all Internet protoc=
ols such as http and ftp, and FreeBSD has a reputation for being the a ve=
ry stable, scalable operating system for commercial development of large-=
scale web-servers, ISP's and graphics rendering farms." He goes on to say=
 that "Companies who profit from their use of FreeBSD often put developer=
s on the payroll with the specific mandate to work on BSD code. Apple is =
simply the latest to discover this sensible approach to development."
 =

 	The FreeBSD Project

	contact: Jordan Hubbard =

		 Concord, California =