Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:17:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Route table leaks

> Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >>
> >> It doesn't happen on most 3.x or 4.x systems either.  For starters,
> >> you won't see it unless you're running routed.  Even then, you may
> >                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > I haven't run routed in 5 years, I see it.  You meant ``a dynamic routing
> > daemon'', and/or doing manual route delete's.  Either of those can cause
> > the leak.
>
> Damn.  Caught me oversimplifying again ... :-)

:-)  I just didn't walk folks getting the idea that this was really
a bug in routed, and since they don't run routed they needn't worry
about it.

It takes a bgp/gated router about 7 to 10 days to suffer catastrophic
failure from this leak problem depending on the global route churn rate,
or at least thats what _was_ happening to us here.  I'll know for sure
in another day or two when I compare kernel route table size to object
counts.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net