Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 00:58:27 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can't boot a new 2.0.5A system

    I don't know how you other folks did it, but I can't boot a
freshly installed 2.0.5A disk.  I go through all the steps, choosing
logical choices, but then when it goes to reboot, I get "Missing
operating system".

    Disk is a Quantum Empire 1080S, using the entire disk for FreeBSD.
I tried it both with and without a boot manager.  No difference.  I
noticed the partition editor creates a small 22-block partition when I
say "Use entire disk".  No way to delete it, so I figure that's some
sort of boot code thingy.  The "Make startable" command isn't
documented anywhere, but I tried it on my FreeBSD partition.  Still
won't boot.  What's the secret?

    I have two pages of handwritten notes on bugs/glitches/typos in
the installer alone, so don't go pressing that CD-ROM just yet.  ;-)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org