Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:49:50 +0000
From:      Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] ipfw and 'me'

Dan Nelson wrote:
> me is me.  Maybe the "recv | xmit | via {ifX | if* | ipno | any}"
> options will help?  What exactly are you trying to allow/block?

My firewall rules are based on the 'simple' pattern in rc.firewall.
I've got stuff like this to explicitly allow certain connections:

         # ssh
         ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to ${oip} 22 setup
         ${fwcmd} add pass udp from any to ${oip} 22
         ${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${oip} 22 to any

         # Allow DNS queries out in the world
         ${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${oip} to any 53 keep-state

         # Allow NTP queries out in the world
         ${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${oip} to any 123 keep-state

where ${oip} is my external IP adress (ie. the one that changes
every now and again)

--Jon

http://www.witchspace.com