Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:36:58 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Juan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ram=F3n?= Molina Menor <listjm@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System hang on shutdown when running freebsd-update

On Wed 2014-12-10 14:13:28 UTC+0100, Juan Ramón Molina Menor (listjm@club-internet.fr) wrote:

> > >/ Another update. I narrowed down the issue due to /sbin/init being
> > >replaced. This might be the magic that freebsd-update does to make the
> > >crash happen. (Although there might be more situations that cause a
> > >hang.)
> >
> > />/ I can completely reliably trigger the hang on a default
> > />/ 10.1-RELEASE install on UFS2 in VMware Fusion with the following
> > />/
> > />/  # chflags noschg /sbin/init
> > />/  # cp -Rp /sbin/init /sbin/init2
> > />/  # rm -f /sbin/init
> > />/  # mv /sbin/init2 /sbin/init
> > />/  # chflags schg /sbin/init
> > />/  # reboot
> > />/  => Hang after "All buffers synced."
> > /These commands do not trigger the issue here on a 10.1-RELEASE on VMware
> > Player, but do it in a real system with the same release, both i386.
> > When I last freebsd-updated this latter machine from 10.0 to
> > 10.1-RELEASE, I also remember seeing the hang on shutdown.
> >
> > Hope it helps,
> > Juan
>
> The hang occurs again when running freebsd-update to install the
> security advisories of today on a 10.1-RELEASE i386. No problem under
> VMWare, same version.
>
> Best regards,
> Juan

A FreeBSD 10.1-REL amd64 VM here also hangs after /sbin/reboot is run,
after installing updates with freebsd-update. The VM runs under
VirtualBox on an Ubuntu 14.04 host.

On hard-resetting the VM, it appears the filesystem (UFS) wasn't flushed:

Dec 11 00:29:52 vbox-freebsd kernel: WARNING: / was not properly dismounted

Regards
Andrew