Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2017 21:06:51 -0400
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 experimentation in jails.

Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
> On 04/05/17 17:18, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> How does one enable and properly configure a working ipv6 i/f on a
>> Freebsd host where the host is presently located on an ipv4 network
>> with no ipv6 gateway?
>
> In this case you will need to use IPv6 tunnel, e. g. from Hurricane
> Electric:
> https://www.tunnelbroker.net/

If your isp doesn't supply ipv6 as part of your standard service then
you have to purchase ipv6 service from a 3rd party and use tunnel to
gain access. FYI time warner is in the process of turning on free ipv6
service as part of their normal service.

But this does not address your original question. I think you are asking
about how to test ipv6 between the host and a jail.

ipv6 has a range of addresses reserved for LAN use. fc00::/7 which is
like 10.0.0.0/8

The host needs a default local ipv6 address. On the host issue

ifconfig fxp0 int6 fc00::1 alias    and to remove it
ifconfig fxp0 int6 fc00::1 -alias

change fxp0 to the interface facing the pubic internet. All that stuff
about ipv6 statements in rc.conf are not needed unless you have free
ipv6 from your isp.

When defining your jail assign ipv6 address fc00::X where X is any
number  1 through 100.

On the host issue ping6 -c 2 fc00::2
If the jail is running and has been assigned fc00::2 you should get a reply.