Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:12:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hartzell@alerce.com
Subject:   Re: saving power in a Dell Poweredge 750.

George Hartzell wrote:
 > I'm setting up a Dell Poweredge 750 1U server.  A friend is loaning me
 > space in his rack and since his rack usage is limited by power I'd
 > like to be as thrifty as possible.
 >
 > I hooked my kill-a-watt meter up and ran the machine for a couple of
 > days and it uses 88 watts (3.90KWH/44.01H).
 >
 > Then I kldloaded cpufreq and enabled powerd and it still uses 88 watts
 > (8.35KWH/93.47H).

Did you verify that powerd actually reduced the CPU
frequency?  What's the output from "sysctl dev.cpu.0"?

It might be enlightening to watch the following shell
loop for a while:
while :; do sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq; sleep 1; done

By the way, do you have an SMP system, or are you running
a kernel without SMP?  "sysctl machdep.cpu_idle_hlt"?

Best regards
   Oliver

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall