Date:      Fri, 20 May 2011 17:38:13 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com>
Cc:        Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Over-whelmed by ports and package tools

On Fri, 20 May 2011 10:26:11 -0400, Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also try to go with portsnap for ports IMHO it's the path of least
> > resistance ;-)
>
> I will try portsnap, and read about the pkgdb database.  If all these
> tools ultimately resolve to pkgdb, I will try to learn about that.

I think pkgdb (often used as "pkgdb -aF") belongs to
portinstall / portupgrade, and it keeps things in sync
when you use different installing methods side by side
(which is possible), e. g.

	# pkg_add -r bla
	# portinstall foo/urgz
	# cd /usr/ports/baz/bar
	# make install

In this case, running "pkgdb -aF" before and after each
installation (or upgrading or removing) step makes sure
nothing gets "installed twice".

If you use portmaster for maintaining your ports, you
should be safe.

Using portsnap to obtain a current ports tree is a common
way. If you need it "more current", use csup. Here is an
explaination text I did already post to the list:

Step 1: Add this to /etc/make.conf:

	SUP_UPDATE=     yes
	SUP=            /usr/bin/csup
	SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
	SUPHOST=        cvsup.freebsd.org
	PORTSSUPFILE=   /etc/sup/ports.sup

Step 2: Create /etc/sup/ports.sup:

	*default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
	*default base=/var/db
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs tag=.
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	*default compress
	ports-all

Note: You can use a different cvsup host and can also exclude
port categories from being updated (e. g. for languages you
do not use, or kinds of programs you are not interested in).
See /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile for more details,
it's very well documented (here: in comments).

Step 3: Perform the update

	# cd /usr/ports
	# make update

Now you have a _current_ ports tree.

Note: A similar method works for the system sources. Add

	SUPFILE=        /etc/sup/stable.sup

to /etc/make.conf and create /etc/sup/stable.sup like this:

	*default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
	*default base=/var/db
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	*default compress
	src-all

This will give you 8-STABLE. Use "tag=RELENG_8.0" for 8.0-pX
(security branch, just as freebsd-update would do), and if you
need RELEASE, use "tag=RELENG_8.0.0".

Then,

	# cd /usr/src
	# make update
	# make buildworld buildkernel

See /usr/src/Makefile (comment section) for which make targets
are defined and in which order you must proceed for a system
upgrade based on sources.

More info here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/cvs-tags.html

> I have tried PC-BSD, and look forward to version 9.0.  I really don't
> like KDE, though.

I've _tried_ to like it, but that wasn't a big success. :-)

> I hear some rumblings about a Gnome developer
> wanting to drop BSD support, so maybe I better start liking KDE.

It is currently discussed to turn Gnome into a kind of
Linux distribution, if I understood this correctly. Of
course it implies that Gnome _itself_ will drop support
for Solaris and the BSDs, and maybe all other operating
systems that do not run the Linux kernel (e. g. Debian
running a FreeBSD or HURD kernel, maybe even mobile
devices?).

But on the other hand, this is free software, so anyone
who wants to port Gnome to non-Linux is free to do so.

> PC-BSD seems to have done a great job reproducing the way Mac's
> install software, by using self-contained bundles (PBI's).

In my opinion, this is not optimal. Software should be
managed by the system, not by downloading things using
a web browser... but at least there are command line tools
to deal with PBI, so all the annoying interaction during
an installation process can be omitted. But on the other
hand, this is what people seem to be used to, so why not
distribute software this strange way? :-)

> And next
> version of PBI is supposed to not need a GUI.

I thought it would already be existing???

> I'm sure I will be
> trying the next version PC-BSD. Hopefully to be released soon.

If you want a preconfigured system and don't mind the
sloppy support for the german language, PC-BSD is a very
good piece of software. Still I have to express Mr. Horse's
primary opinion about it. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany