Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:33:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Carlos Carnero <zopewiz@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bandwidth throttling with dummynet(4)

Hi,

I have a "lab" here where I'm testing (and learning)
traffic shaping with dummynet(4). I have a Windows XP
host computer and a couple of VMware virtual
computers: one running  FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p18, with
two virtual Ethernet adapters and other running NetBSD
1.5.2 with one adapter. My FreeBSD "box" is the
router/gateway for the NetBSD box, providing
firewalling and NAT. Pretty much a standard setup, and
it works OK (you should see the double NATting ;)

Anyway, I have compiled into the kernel both IP Filter
and FreeBSD's own ipfw, with the purpose of traffic
shaping/bandwidth throttling. But the numbers I get
are not what I expect. For instance, my ipfw rules are
like:

pipe 1000 config bw 5KByte/s queue 50
pipe 1001 config bw 5KByte/s queue 50

add 50000 pipe 1000 tcp from 192.168.250.3/32 to any
add 50001 pipe 1001 tcp from any to 192.168.250.3/32

(192.168.250.3 being the NetBSD "box") But when I
transfer a file using FTP from the Windows host I get
_almost_ 1 KByte. Note that I remove the pipes speeds
reach ~800-900 KByte/s, almost saturating the
"virtual" Ethernet interfaces. Changing the pipe
bandwidth to, say 25KByte/s in both pipes yield an FTP
speed of ~5-6 KByte/s. Is this OK or FTP is that
inefficient? What other tests can I run to check the
bandwidth _not_ using FTP?

IP Filter's ruleset is currently set to pass
everything as quickly as it can :)

Thanks a lot,
Carlos.

PS. Posting from Yahoo! until I solve some reverse DNS
bugs I inherited :|