Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:55:05 +0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WEP problems with ndis and ath drivers

On Mar 21, 2004, at 9:35 AM, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop with an onboard TrueMobile 1300
> (Broadcom, b/g chipset) and a Netgear WAG511 cardbus card (Atheros,
> a/b/g
> chipset).
>
> I have a Netgear FWAG114 firewall/access point.  (Atheros based, does
> a, b
> and g.)
>
> I'm running FreeBSD-current from Friday, March 19th.  Both cards talk
> the access point under FreeBSD when I'm not running WEP, and neither
> card
> works with WEP enabled.  (i.e., neither card will associate with the
> base
> station with WEP enabled.)
>
> I have tried putting the key in as both hex digits and as the
> passphrase I
> used on the router to generate the hex key.  (The router claims it's a
> 128
> bit key, but it only generates 26 hex digits, so it's really a 104 bit
> key
> I suppose.)
>
> Both cards work under Windows with WEP, with either the hex key or the
> passphrase entered.
>
> I have attached ifconfig and wicontrol output from both cards, and
> dmesg
> output from the laptop.
>
> To enable the adapter, I've been doing things like this:
>
> ifconfig {ath0|ndis0} ssid [my ssid] wepmode on wepkey `cat wepkey`
>
> (where wepkey is a file with the 26 digit hex key, starting with 0x)
>
> For what it's worth, I've tried setting the authmode to shared
> (instead of
> "open"), but all I get is the following:
>
> ifconfig ath0 authmode shared
> ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument
>
> The ath driver spits out the following diagnostics when I try to
> associate
> with either the a or g part of the base station with WEP on:
>

> ath0: authentication failed (reason 13) for 00:09:5b:66:0d:f9
> ath0: authentication failed (reason 13) for 00:09:5b:66:0d:f9
> ath0: authentication failed (reason 13) for 00:09:5b:66:0d:f9
> ath0: authentication failed (reason 13) for 00:09:5b:66:0d:f9
> ath0: authentication failed (reason 13) for 00:09:5b:66:2c:5c
> ath0: authentication failed (reason 13) for 00:09:5b:66:2c:5c
> ath0: authentication failed (reason 13) for 00:09:5b:66:2c:5c
> ath0: authentication failed (reason 13) for 00:09:5b:66:2c:5c
>
> (The first mac address is the a base station, the second is the g base
> station.)
>
> The ndis driver (I'm using the Dell/Broadcom Windows drivers for the
> onboard chip) doesn't give any error messages, but doesn't associate
> either.
>
> If anyone has any clues on how to get this to work, I'd love to hear
> them.
> (Or if you have a similar setup and have managed to get it to work with
> WEP, that would be
> use<ath0.ifconfig><ath0.wicontrol><ndis0.ifconfig><ndis0.wicontrol><dme
> [...]

It appears your AP requires shared-key authentication to associate when
WEP is enabled.  The current code in the tree does not support
shared-key authentication (it's actually a bad idea security-wise).  I
have tested shared-key support in a p4 branch but haven't committed it
yet.  If you want it you can find it in my sam_sockets branch.

	Sam