Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 1995 20:18:24 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compaq's builtin pci bus

On Nov 8, 13:14, "Eric L. Hernes" wrote:
} Stefan Esser writes:

} I originally tried with the 10/05 snap, that's where
} it failed.  I just tried again with -current.  The probes
} are working, and the device is recognized but it
} gets `no driver assigned'.  Now the kernel panics somewhere
} in the mount code after it's up and running. I'll probably
} upgrade the machine to -current and see if the panic goes
} away. I suspect that it's -snap binaries with a -current kernel.

Well, I tried to get the -current PCI probe code into 2.1R
many weeks ago, but it was decided, it was to dangerous with
the release expected a few days later ... :)

I really would like to know, whether it works with the most
recent SNAP, or only with -current ...

} >Try setting the port address to 0x7000, since this
} >has been reported to be the value choosen by Compaq's
} >PCI BIOS. Don't know the IRQ offhand, though.
}
} you mean:
} device lnc0 at isa? port 0x7000 net irq 10 drq 0 vector lncintr

Guess it is IRQ 5, not 10.
You will know when the probe succeeds, I guess.

Instead of rebuilding the kernel, you may want to try
booting with the "-c" option entered at the "Boot: "
prompt. This will let you specify the port and irq
values when the kernel has been loaded and before the
device probe starts.

If you got the values right, you can of course use them
to build a customized kernel.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160