Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:55:50 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

As Christoph Haas wrote:

> Allright. Now that I've followed the discussion for a while, I'm going to
> setup a registration desk for commercial vendors. Its success depends of

Appreciated!

> whether you (the developers) try to help me a little bit or not. All I ask
> from you is to leave me a little note if you break something seriuosly. I

Well, the problem with this is, you often don't know that you're
breaking something, let alone that it might be something very
important for a particular vendor.  Things like the utmp change are
obvious, but there was no secret about it.  Other things are hidden
gotchas, where it will only be apparent afterwards that they might
have broken some compatibility.  I still remember the numerous small
fixes to the shell that sometimes broke compatibility to previously
existing features.  This breakage wasn't intended, thus no form of
warning was possible.  That's the kind of things that must be ironed
out in -current (but sometimes even sneak into a release since the
number of people testing -current is more limited than those of
testing releases).

--
cheers, J"org