Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:57:49 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open Office - installation problem

--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 08:32:37PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Can I use 'zxvf' to untar the packages and do 'setup'
> to install OOo, the normal way not FreeBSD way? =20

No -- in this case the files being referred to are in fact FreeBSD
pkg's.  You can certainly extract the contents using 'tar -zxvf', but
it won't do you a great deal of good.  This isn't like the OO packages
for other OSes, where you unpack a tar-ball and run an included shell
script to copy everything into the appropriate locations.  The FreeBSD
pkg_add(1) program handles all that uncompressing, untarring and
copying things completely automatically, as well as doing some
additional stuff like registering the package in /var/db/pkgs
=20
> Is it necessary to remove OOo-1.1 first which I
> re-setup temperarily to work.

You might be able to get away with having both OpenOffice-1.1 and
OpenOffice-1.1.1 installed simultaneously, as they both install to
separate subdirs of /usr/local.  However, apart from using up huge
amounts of disk space, I don't see that's going to do a great deal for
you.

OpenOffice-1.1.1 release is available via ports -- but apparently not
yet as a precompiled package from http://projects.imp.ch/openoffice/
or the usual FreeBSD FTP sites.

You can compile it yourself, but be warned: it's huge, has quite a
long dependency list and takes geological ages to compile.  Not for
the faint hearted or those without a powerful machine.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way