Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 2021 15:11:28 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd-rj@obsigna.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERICSD snapshot on a BBB has issues with loading the if_rtwn_usb module

> Am 16.01.2021 um 14:48 schrieb Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>:
>=20
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 18:43:33 +0100
> Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com <mailto:manu@bidouilliste.com>> =
wrote:
>=20
>> On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 14:08:58 -0300
>> "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd-rj@obsigna.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>> I updated one of my BBB from an older 13-CURRENT (July 2020) to the =
latest 13-ALPHA1 snapshot from Jan, 14th ? =
GENERICSD-20210114-7ae27c2d6c4-255938.
>>>=20
>>> I had successfully employed an USB-WLAN dongle based on the =
RTL8188eu chipset. I only added the following into /boot/loader.conf:
>>>=20
>>> if_rtwn_usb_load=3D"YES"
>>>=20
>>> By that all dependend modules were loaded automatically in a snap. =
With ALPHA1 this doesn?t work anymore. After hours of troubleshooting, I =
got it working by adding the following into /etc/rc.conf:
>>>=20
>>> kld_list=3D"if_rtwn_usb"
>>>=20
>>> The "Loading kernel modules:" takes apprx. 4 seconds, however, then =
the USB-WLAN device is enumerated correctly and it is ready to use. This =
makes me think that this uncommon huge delay is the culprit. I checked =
this with some snapshot thats I had installed already. The issue seems =
to have been introduced together with the switch to GENERICSD. A =
GENERICSD 13-CURRENT from end of December showed this issue already, =
while a BBB-specific snapshot (from November 2020) that I had installed =
on another BBB works as before by loading the modules in =
/boot/loader.conf.
>>>=20
>>> I don't mind to load the modules by the way of the kld_list =
directive in /etc/rc.conf. However, the unusual long duration of loading =
the module and its dependencies might be an indication for a more =
fundamental issue.
>>>=20
>>> Please feel free to ask me for doing more tests.=20
>>>=20
>>> Best regards
>>>=20
>>> Rolf
>>=20
>> I can reproduce that on my netbooted BBB.
>> The module is correctly loaded :
>>=20
>> kernel... /boot/kernel/kernel text=3D0x1b4 text=3D0x68d638 =
text=3D0x1c84f0
>> data=3D0xb4070 data=3D0x0+0x258000 syms=3D[0x4+0xa5ab0+0x4+0x119fd4] =
>> configured modules... /boot/kernel/if_rtwn_usb.ko text=3D0xb960
>> text=3D0x62c0 data=3D0x2cc+0x3b syms=3D[0x4+0x3570+0x4+0x293f] =
/boot/entropy
>> size=3D0x1000 /etc/hostid
>> size=3D0x25 Using DTB provided by EFI at
>> 0x87f00000. Kernel entry at
>> 0x96e00200... Kernel args:
>> (null)                                                                =
                                   =20
>> ---<<BOOT>>---                                                        =
                                   =20
>>=20
>> But it isn't loaded anymore after booting :
>> root@bbb:~ # kldstat=20
>> Id Refs Address        Size Name
>> 1    1 0xc0000000   d23a8c kernel
>>=20
>> I don't think it has to do with the switch to GENERICSD, there is (at
>> least shouldn't be) any difference between the old BBB image and the
>> GENERICSD one.

Yes, this might well be a coincidence. I do neither have the last BBB =
specific snapshot nor the first GENERICSD one for testing these against =
each other.

> Just did a test on my OrangePi One (Allwinner H3 armv7 with 512MB of
> RAM) and this is the same.
> The problem seems to be module dependancy, loader only loads
> if_rtnw_usb but doing a kldload also brings wlan.ko and rtwn.ko

I can confirm this. And in addition loading the if_rtwn_usb.ko module =
and its dependcies manually also takes now significantly longer compared =
to a manual load on the BBB specific 13-CURRENT from November. Perhaps =
something has been changed in the dependency resolver.