Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:50:35 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        dave <dmehler22@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question on staroffice?

dave wrote:

> Hello,
>     Is anyone using staroffice 5.1? I was wondering if it is worth the
> download time, and if it requires any additional configuration? Does it run
> in x or console mode?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

I'm using it with 3.4 . It has it's good and bad points.
On the plus side, the word processor, spreadsheet and
database seem to work well and interface nicely with the
M$ world. The built-in browser is much more stable on
my system than the later Netscapes.

On the other hand, it tries to replace your GUI desktop
with its own desktop, which I don't like. It is also
a huge binary (soffice.bin) that loads a separate instance
for every function (mail, spreadsheet, etc) and takes up a
huge amount of memory, violating the unix tradition of
small programs that do one job, this is a big, huge program
that does many jobs. Also, StarMail works well, but it
saves mail in some proprietary format, which makes it
hard to deal with things like telnetting in to your
system from the 'net and runing a text-based mailer on
your mail folders.

All that said, it's far more functional for real work
than anything else I've tried, at least where you have
to deal with M$ files at work on a regular basis or as
attachments in e-mail.

As to configuration, you answer a bunch of questions
when you complete the initial installation and then
it installs itself in /usr/local/Office51. Then, each
user must run the setup stuff, which creates an Office51
directory in his/her home directory where are placed the
desktop and folders and all that jazz. I would much rather
that it used the home directory itself as its "desktop"
folder, so that you didn't have to continually paw your
way up a couple layers of directory tree to get to the
stuff in your home directory. One of the nice things
about unix for day to day work is that the environment
moves with you as far as knowing where you are on the
system. Staroffice has its own ideas in this regard.

--
Jim Durham