Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 13:09:52 -0700
From:      "Tim Oneil" <toneil@visigenic.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD/Linux

Paul wrote:
>Actually, the answer is yes with a footnote. Much of the software
>available for Unix is available in source for and much is already
>ported to Linux and BSD. BSD based systems used to be where most
>software started in fact. Now I suspect it's Solaris. There is a
>ton of software available.

Yeah, solaris has come way up, its been strong since the first
sparc servers, but I think java has pushed them into the leaders
of of the network server business. They are the root servers on
our local spur (for the most part), and our intranet backbones.
As our products go, Solaris is our reference platform.
Good thing? Dunno. I hear a lot of grumbling from our developers
about the SparcWorks suite. A few of them wish they could use
GNU but we can't for buisiness reasons I guess.

>FreeBSD gives you a more stable platform with a slightly smaller set
>of device drivers.

Theres no doubt in my mind that having a BSD standards-based system
is better than whatever linux is... a kernel with a bunch of ports?
You can have a BSD style ps and a Sys V style ls on Linux. Not an
ideal way to go, imho. So why is there more software for Linux???

-Tim