Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2014 20:35:49 -0700
From:      Duckbreath <duckbreath@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mounting a file system with superblock 32

=0A=0AHello all, I have a hard drive that represents an older installation =
of FreeBSD and I would like to access it.=A0 Using a USB -> IDE connection =
device the drive appears as:=0A=0A/dev/da0[x*]=A0=A0 where x* is various le=
tters 'a', 'e', 'f', which no doubt represent the partitions from the previ=
ous installation.=0A=0A=0AA simple mount doesn't work though, returning an =
error message about unrecognized device.=0A=0AA simple usage of fsck_ff how=
ever shows the file system clear,=0Afsck_ff -b 32 /dev/da0a returns system =
clean, and newfs -N will give me various facts about the drive (blocksize, =
fragment size, cylinder groups, blocks, indoes, and sectors).=0A=0AGoogling=
 around has shown that perhaps the mdmfs utility is what I need.=A0 Maybe.=
=A0 It appears to be in vogue as a general purpose utility that looks like =
it has a 'everything for everybody' type design.=A0 I couldn't find anythin=
g in the manuals on it about specifying a superblock location though, like =
32.=A0 Also, the manual and the handbook http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/book=
s/handbook/disks-virtual.html have a discrepancy where the manual claims th=
e '-s' option only makes sense if -F is not specified, even though the exam=
ple in the handbook specifies both.=0A=0AI believe UFS drives with the olde=
r superblock at 32 are called 'UFS1' (as opposed to 'UFS2', of course, whic=
h is for larger drives).=A0 The mount utility's "-t" option can't seem to s=
pecify either, with only ufs being an available choice.=0A=0AThis fits my d=
efinition of non-trivial.=A0 Any of you know how to mount a UFS1 drive?