Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:17:16 -0700
From:      "Tom W." <twilson1@austin.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <tw@nabi.net>
Subject:   Cable modem ->FreeBSD

------=_NextPart_000_01BECD10.806005E0

First I would like to ask if this is an e-group where all mails are sent
to all subscribers or only the development group.  If it is the former
how do I subscribe?

I am a novice with this and just installed FreeBSD 3.1 via
WalnutCreek CD on my new 9.1gig UWscsi (my first scsi and may it never
see an MS OS amen).

The install went  smoothly during which I entered my network
interface info (intel pro 100 B fxp0) such as default gateway, IP
address, domain name ect... that I got from winipcfg in windows (on my
other HD) .

The first time I booted,  I started X and opened netscape 4.08 and I was
able to connect to the internet and send mail.  The next day however I
could not connect.  I checked my IP address in windows again and it had
changed.  I do not have a static IP but it doesn't change that often so
I thought I could just change it in /etc/rc.conf for the time being.
After entering the new IP in  rc.conf  and also trying
/stand/sysinstall/ to update my network info, I still was unable to
connect.

I have the book "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey which says "...From
the FreeBSD point of view, the cable modem looks like just another
ethernet device".  I've read the section on Connecting to the internet
but did not find anything about DHCP. I have read in other newsgroups
that I need to install DHCP so FreeBSD can get my new IP address from my
ISP.  I have RoadRunner cable modem service in Austin, TX and I know
that they use WinNT for their servers which I read uses DHCP.

My question is, why was I only able to connect the first time and not
afterwards even after I updated rc.conf with my new IP.  And am I on the
right track with DHCP?  I saw   isc-dhcp2   on /stand/sysinstall/ so I'm
assuming I would need that program.

Thanks for any help,

-Tom

------=_NextPart_000_01BECD10.806005E0

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial"><br>First I would like to ask if this =
is an e-group where all mails are sent<br>to all subscribers or only the =
development group. &nbsp;If it is the former<br>how do I =
3.1 via<br>WalnutCreek CD on my new 9.1gig UWscsi (my first scsi and may =
during which I entered my network<br>interface info (intel pro 100 B =
fxp0) such as default gateway, IP<br>address, domain name ect... that I =
I booted, &nbsp;I started X and opened netscape 4.08 and I was<br>able =
to connect to the internet and send mail. &nbsp;The next day however =
I<br>could not connect. &nbsp;I checked my IP address in windows again =
and it had<br>changed. &nbsp;I do not have a static IP but it doesn't =
change that often so<br>I thought I could just change it in /etc/rc.conf =
for the time being.<br>After entering the new IP in &nbsp;rc.conf =
&nbsp;and also trying<br>/stand/sysinstall/ to update my network info, I =
Complete FreeBSD&quot; by Greg Lehey which says &quot;...From<br>the =
FreeBSD point of view, the cable modem looks like just =
another<br>ethernet device&quot;. &nbsp;I've read the section on =
Connecting to the internet<br>but did not find anything about DHCP. I =
have read in other newsgroups<br>that I need to install DHCP so FreeBSD =
can get my new IP address from my<br>ISP. &nbsp;I have RoadRunner cable =
modem service in Austin, TX and I know<br>that they use WinNT for their =
servers which I read uses DHCP.<br><br>My question is, why was I only =
able to connect the first time and not<br>afterwards even after I =
updated rc.conf with my new IP. &nbsp;And am I on the<br>right track =
with DHCP? &nbsp;I saw &nbsp;&nbsp;isc-dhcp2 &nbsp;&nbsp;on =
/stand/sysinstall/ so I'm<br>assuming I would need that =
------=_NextPart_000_01BECD10.806005E0--