Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        (Curt Welch) <curt@kcwc.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Subject:   Re: Still having some amusing DPT problems.

Hi Curt Welch;  On 13-Oct-97 you wrote:

> >  Invariably, after 20-30 hours of getting hammered, the
> >  box dies with "DPT: Undocumented error", and drops into
> >  DDB.  If I take out DDB, I get a kazillion messages about
> >  stale transactions that aren't really dead, and a bunch
> >  of other errors.

If you remove a species you upset the delicate balance of nature :-)
Instead, change the lines:  default:
                              Debugger("DPT:  Undocumented Error");

With:                       default:
                               Debugger("DPT:  Undocumented Error %x",
                                        ccb->status_packet.hba_stat);
at the end of dpt_process_completion().

This will give us a clue what is the DPT moaning about :-)

>  I had similar symptoms.  I'm running the DPT on a busy
>  usenet news server.  It would never run for more than a day
>  or two without crashing.  Messages about stale transactions
>  were one of the problems I saw.  I never used DDB.  I've
>  never seen the "Undocumented error" diagnostic.
>
>  However, once I upgraded to version 1.2.3 of the DPT driver,
>  my problems went away (2 months of no problems).  But what
>  happened with that release is that the disk performance
>  improved enough to allow my news server to keep up with the
>  news for the first time.  This means that every 5 minutes
>  or so, the incoming feeds completes and the disks get to
>  "catch up" - i.e. flush their cache.  Before version 1.2.3
>  the news server could never keep up and was therefor busy
>  non-stop 24 hours a day.

1.2.4 made some performance improvement and fixed some bugs.  It is a
(proud) fact that FreeBSD allows very hevey loads to be imposed on the
system.  Let's debug these...

>  Are you using the DPT_HANDLE_TIMEOUTS?  If you are getting messages
>  about stale transactions I think you must have it on.  Try turing
>  it off.  As I understand it, this makes the DPT driver check
>  for transactions that take too long to complete.  But "Too long"
>  is just a calculated value that could well be too short for a very
>  heavilly loaded system.  This was one of the problems I was
>  having.  The DPT driver was aborting transactions that took too
>  long (>20 seconds or so), when it shouldn't have.  If it would have
>  waited a bit long, the transaction would finish fine on their own.
>  These long waits are side-effect of a large cache on the controller.
>  I had the full 64Meg cahce on mine.

The ``Undocumented Error'' should not crop up, regardless of load.

The long delays are not exactly a result of the large cache.  They are
despite the large cache.  There is a starvation condition with certain
disks.  The only time a large cache slows things down, in in flushing.  The
bigger, the more to flush the more to wait.

>  If you are having real problems with lost transactions, then you
>  might have to leave the option on, and instead try changing
>  how it calculates the timeout values.
>
>  The only options I'm using are:
>
>     DPT_MEASURE_PERFORMANCE
>     DPT_TIMEOUT_FACTOR=4

Change this factor to increase the timeout.

>  Simon of course can correct anything wrong I might have
>  said above....
>
>  --
>
>  Curt Welch
>  http://CurtWelch.Com/
>
>  (Just trying to take some of the load off of Simon after all
>  the time he spent helping get my system stable...)

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313