Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:12:05 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@EU.org>, alk@pobox.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 10:43:47AM -0500, Gary Palmer wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote in message ID
> <Pine.BSF.4.05.9811100914130.343-100000@porkfriedrice.ny.genx.net>:
> >
> > Now that i think about it i have had the:
> >
> > /kernel: swap_pager: suggest more swap space: 254 MB
> >
> > unsure about the number, but in my case i didn't notice anything flaky
> > about my system afterwards.
>
> John Dyson added this warning a few months ago, and the times that
> I've seen it are when the machine *just* starts hitting swap space,
> and is no-where near running out. No offense to John, but I don't
> think that whatever algorythm he uses in generating that message is
> anywhere near to being right, and I wonder what peoples opinions about
> either hiding it behind bootverbose or removing it are?

Based on my reading of the code (and I don't fully understand the VM
code, so this may be a wrong analysis):

That message seems to be very right.  It seems to come when we get
into a 'memory overcommit' situation (ie, there isn't enough swap to
satify your memory use if you dirty all pages).  It suggest adding
twice as much swap space as what we overcommit.  It may be that we
should re-phrase it to something like
"Overcommitting %dMB of memory.  This message will only be shown once."
or similar, though.

Eivind.