Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:29:14 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@physics.uvt.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anyone running amavis and sendmail on 4.6-STABLE?

On Saturday 03 August 2002 06:10 pm, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed different versions of amavis (amavis-perl really outdated
> then amavis-0.3.12.pre8  and finally amavisd-new via ports or direct).
> None of this work with sendmail.
>
> I am trying to scan ONLY incoming mails.
>
> All this installs end up with mail not being delivered because of:
> stat=Deferred: local mailer (/usr/local/sbin/amavis) exited with
> EX_TEMPFAIL
>
> Any help will be very much appreciated.

I've been running amavis and sendmail for about two years now with
good results on 4.1,2,3,4 and 5-RELEASE. I have not upgraded to 4.6 yet,
but this should be a sendmail/amavis issue, not the OS.

I'm using procmail for a local delivery agent and replacing the local mailer
in sendmail with a call to scanmails in amavis. I'm not using amavis-perl. I'm
using an old version because it looked to me like the newer version only
supported procmail with qmail as an mta, from what I saw, so I stuck with
the older version.

I use Sophos antivirus as the scanning program. So far, I've only had one
virus ever get through, and that was caught by my 2nd line of defense,
which is the Anomy Sanitizer (Anomy needs procmail, hence my sticking
with the old Amavis version that uses procmail with sendmail.

Just make sure you have your Mlocal set up correctly in sendmail.cf and that
you have procmail configured correctly and it should work well. for you.

-Jim Durham