Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:44:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        cwass99@home.com (Colin)
Cc:        drek@MonsterByMistake.Com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: access floppy rw to lock system

As I recall, Colin wrote:

> On 13-Jan-2000 Agent Drek wrote:

> >|I'd start by asking, "Why would you do that?"
>
>      There are, oddly enough, occasionally reaons for things like floppies.
> That one could slip, unnoticed, into the drive write-protected...see where this
> is going?
>      This is where I get concerned.  Failure writing to a floppy shouldn't hang
> the system.  That it does would imply a problem with the driver at the very
> least.  Or am I failing to trip on the blatantly obvious here?

Well, I was protesting the logic of doing a read/write mount of read-only
media.  Mount it R/O and there is no issue.

You wouldn't mount a CD-ROM read/write, would you?

And, it would have to be "unnoticed" by someone with root
permissions, or it can't be mounted at all (or written to, either).

You don't let anyone other than the administrator(s) have root, do
you?  And you don't do day-to-day work as root, do you?

But I will concede that doing that approximately silly thing
shouldn't hang the system.  I'd probably vote that the driver should
test for write protect, and the mount(2) call should act as though
"MT_RDONLY" had been specified.

Either that, or fail with a EPERM or ENODEV.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net