Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:05:07 +0200
From:      Jerome Herman <jherman@dichotomia.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /tmp filesystem full

Le 22/08/2012 12:59, Andy Wodfer a écrit :
> Hi,
> I have about 500MB in my /tmp and it seems to be too small when the
> periodic LOCATE script runs every week.
>
> What's the best way to increase the size of /tmp ? Could I simply remove it
> and create a symbolic link ln -s to say /usr/tmp instead (where I have
> several hundred GBs free)?
>
> PS! This is on a live server and I would like to keep downtime and problems
> to a minimum. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Removing /tmp and replacing it with a link is a bad idea, it might have
unexpected effects if you have to go into single user mode for
maintenance - especially if /usr cannot be mounted at that time. A
solution would be to create a /usr/tmp BEFORE mounting /usr

If the problem comes from locate, the best option is to move locate
database and temp files on another drive - take a look at locate.rc for
information - this should cause 0 downtime.

If the problem is that the tmp file is really too small for a number of
operation including locate (for example compile also fails due to lack
of space) you will need to either configure each and every failing
program to use a different temp directory or move temp directory