Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:06:53 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unicode chars in OpenOffice 1.0 (from package)

Howdy; I'm running the initial version of the OpenOffice 1.0 English pack=
age=20
for FreeBSD.  The rest of my system (or at least, the interesting parts):
--X 4.2.0 running standard (non-hacked) Xft
--Freetype 2.1.2
--FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #4

I can't see any of the characters in my Unicode truetype fonts above the=20
initial ASCII set.  (I can see one or two immediately above it, but none=20
beyond.)  This means that, for examples, smart quotes in the Windows CP12=
51=20
page show up as question marks.  The fonts contain the glyphs, and they=20
render properly in Kword and Konqueror, but not in OpenOffice.
I can't find a related issue on the OpenOffice bug tracking site, so I th=
ought=20
I'd check in with y'all.  Is there any dependency of the package that I m=
ight=20
need to update to get proper Unicode access to Truetype fonts?  Does=20
OpenOffice do the rendering itself, or does it use Xft?  etc.

Thanks!

-Cliff L. Biffle