Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 21:54:27 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, gdk@ccomp.inode.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>- going down his list of "trademark
> violations" on ftp.cdrom.com and requesting that all instances of
> "boggle" there be deleted.  In order to be friendly to ftp.cdrom.com,
> our master site (in case you forgot), it also makes sense to do this
> in a way which simply eliminates the problem from our end so that
> various types of mirror nastiness don't become necessary just over
> this one issue (and it will be removed from the 4.4 Lite tree on
> ftp.cdrom.com as well, just FYI).

it seems to me that this is too much of a coincidence..
My guess is that there is ONE lawyer who has decided that
this is a good way to make money. I'll be that he has a list of all the
games and in fact is going through everything on the server, and
probably a whole bunch of other servers as well.
Or maybe just the CDs.
Well hear from the monopoly people within a few months I'll wager,
as soon as he get's the time to get teh contract with them signed..
"I have a list of your trademark infringements.
for only $10,000 I'll sell you the list, and for $10,000 more I'll
do all the paperwork required for the first round....

I suggest we change the names of as many other dubious utilities
as we can asap... monololy could be 'landowner' or 'hotels'..
I think we should keep items that do not have other sources,
just change the names.
Things that there are other sources for can go as far as I'm concerned..
ports of the rest, using new names (this includes tetris)
would replace most of them.

We should look at our tree with the eyes of a lawyer looking for work.
I'll bet that's why we got hit twice in 3 months..

I'm quite serious about this..
It may spread beyond the games.
it sounds like a leach is active to me..

julian